The Charlestown Commissioners, in their continuing effort to help assure that the residents and property owners have a place to park when visiting the town's parks, playgrounds, fishing piers, and beaches, have instituted a parking permit program.
• Fairgreen Park across from Charlestown Fire Company
• Town Point Park, Beach, and Fishing Pier
• Veterans Park, Beach, and Municipal Bat Ramp on Water Street
• Parking spaces on Water Street across from The Wellwood
• Parking spaces on Water Street near the Municipal Boat Pier between Frederick and Caroline streets
There are also several areas where vehicle permits are generally not required. Parking is restricted to special uses only. These areas are:
• Parking Lot "B" at the north end of Water Street is open parking from daylight to dusk. Overnight parking is not permitted. Vehicles will be towed.
• Parking at town hall and the post office is open during normal business hours Monday through Friday. Parking is restricted on weekends and a valid permit is required.
• Parking at St. John's United Methodist Church (Market and Bladen streets) is open but restricted to church activities only. Those without a valid permit will be towed.
• The athletic complex parking area is open daylight to dusk with no permit required.
The town has hired Chesapeake Service Center to periodically patrol the town. If the towing company finds a vehicle without a valid permit displayed, the vehicle will be removed. The fee for this service is anticipated to be $275 and $50 per day storage. Residents who have not done so are asked to turn out at town hall for the "Resident Parking" pass. These are provided at no charge to residents and property owners. Passes are available for multiple vehicles. Residents and property owners must display these permits when parked in the designated areas.
Non-resident parking passes for out-of-town and out-of-state visitors are available at a fee of $50 per year. These passes are available at town hall 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. on business days. To obtain one by mail order at Charlestown Town Hall P.O. Box 154 Charlestown, Md. 21914. Passes are not being sold on weekends. The new regulations will be enforced 24 hours per day, everyday.