Instead, Eaton, 8, a student at Gilpin Manor Elementary School, was being honored by Chief Matt Blakeley for his quick thinking during a family camping trip in August.
Eaton's grandparents were impressed that the youth didn't go inside the camper, instead he did what he learned during school fire prevention lessons - he alerted adults and stayed outside. The family found that a computer cord left plugged in and unattended, overheated. That sparked the blaze which damaged the carpet and wall of the camper and also burned a duffle bag containing Eaton's clothing.
The family managed to contain the fire from spreading to adjacent campers and propane tanks.
Chief Blakeley presented Eaton with a certificate commending him for his bravery and quick-thinking.
"This shows the seriousness of what we're teaching during fire prevention. The skills we're teaching are things like get out and stay out and stop drop and roll. He (Eaton) didn't go back in the camper. He got the adults," said Blakeley.
Eaton is the son of Ronda Graham and Richard Eaton.