If you're traveling most anywhere in Cecil County in the coming weeks and months, give yourself extra time to get there.
Road projects throughout the county will cause traffic delays.
Contractor American Infrastructure will close a single lane between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Crews will have a flagging operation set up. This project should be completed in early June. Recommended detour from Rising Sun to North East is Route 272.
Drivers are already dealing with a detour in North East. Traffic is being diverted around the Route 272 Mauldin Avenue Bridge, as part of the $19 million project to replace the bridge in North East.
The detour will be in place for up to four weeks, weather permitting.
The detour is approximately 2.5 miles and will take drivers along Route 7 and Mechanics Valley Road.
The closure is necessary as crews replace the deteriorated approaches to the bridge with new concrete. The contractor will work on site, 24 hours per day, seven days a week until the work is completed.
Other SHA road projects coming:
• Route 213 (Bridge Street), Elkton is getting new traffic signals, paving, and pedestrian enhancements. This work will run from Spring 2015-Spring 2016.
• Route 273 (Telegraph Road), Elkton at Appleton Road. Roundabout construction. This work will run from Spring 2015-Spring 2016.
• Route 281(Red Hill Road), Elkton at Muddy Lane. Roundabout construction. This work will run from Spring 2015-Spring 2016.
• Route 40 at Route 272 to Route 213 from North East to Elkton. Resurfacing from Spring 2015 to Summer 2015.
• Route 272 at Tiger Drive, North East. Intersection reconstruction. This work will run from Summer 2015 through Fall 2016.
• Route 279, Elkton, will undergo resurfacing from Summer 2015 through Fall 2016.